Image Guided Surgery
Minimally invasive procedures represent a logical evolution of surgical philosophy focussing on patient’s safety and satisfaction. This philosophy is based on three main principles:
– accurate identification of the problem;
– safe access to the pathological area with minimal injury to the surrounding tissues;
– effective but delicate repair of the problematic even deep-lying structures.
Intelligent and Accurate.
Robotic surgery allows accurate planning of the procedure before the patient enters operating theatre and causes less operative trauma and blood loss, resulting in reduced post-operative pain and scarring. It helps achieving:
– Faster recovery from surgery and less rehabilitation required;
– Reduced chances of post-surgical complications, e.g. infection and deep venous thrombosis;
– Patients are able to return to work and usual activities sooner;
– It can often be performed in difficult clinical scenarios when open surgery is deemed too risky, e.g. in elderly, obese or medically unfit patients;
– Better cosmetic results from smaller skin incisions;
– Diminished reliance on pain medications after surgery
After taking your history and performing examinations, your imaging will be reviewed and discussed with you. Understanding the problem is essential in finding the best possible solution and good quality radiological investigations play an important role in visualising any structural changes and abnormalities.Very often, additional and more detailed radiological investigations will be required. These may include:
– MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) including weight-bearing scans and MR angiography,
– CT (computed tomography),
– SPECT (single-photon emission computed tomography),
– flexion/extension, lateral bending and other specific types of X-Rays,
– EOS imaging (low dose 3D imaging in natural standing position),
– DEXA bone mineral density measurements,
– ultrasound and other studies.
For certain neurological conditions, you may be referred to neurophysiological investigations, including nerve conduction studies, EMG (electromyogram), SSEP (somato-sensory evoked potentials) and MEP (motor evoked potentials).
Once the cause of your problem is identified, we will discuss suitable management options. In most situations, there is more than one option available and surgery will be only the last resort when every other form of conservative treatment fails to improve your condition. In order to help you make the right decision, we will discuss pros and cons of all possible modalities and explain expected outcomes during consultation. You will be provided with detailed information materials relevant to your condition to take home and discuss with your family. A report to your General Practitioner will be dictated at the end of appointment and a copy will be sent to you as well.
Our primary goal would be to avoid operation, and this approach is proven as the safest and most effective in many scenarios. However, there are situations when surgery is the final and necessary step to improve patient’s condition and quality of life. When it comes to surgery, it is naturally not always easy to make this important decision. Understanding the problem and range of available alternatives is very helpful.
10 locations around Victoria Our Consulting Locations
Our main office is based in the direct proximity from the Surrey Hills train station with plenty of on-street parking available:
Suite 4, Ground Floor, 619-625 Canterbury Road
SURREY HILLS VIC 3127
Apart from our head office, several other consulting locations are available in Bendigo, Bundoora, Bentleigh East, Essendon, Frankston, Heidelberg, Knox, Sunbury and Werribee for your convenience.
Please call us on 03 90084200 and we will coordinate an appointment at the location most convenient and accessible for you.
The Bays Hospital
UniHill Consulting Suites
Level 4 Suite 32
240 Plenty Road
Frankston Private Hospital, Level 3
24-28 Frankston-Flinders Rd
Consulting Suites, Level 7
10 Martin Street
Moonee Ponds Specialist Centre
827 Mt Alexander Road,
MOONEE PONDS 3039
17-19 Horne St
230 Mountain Highway
Moorabbin Specialist Centre
873 Centre Road
BENTLEIGH EAST 3165
297 Princes Hwy